Community Farmer Advert
Reporting to: Managing Director
Hourly rate: £13 per hour
Hours of work: 29 per week
Days of work: Tuesday to Friday
Annual leave: 30 days per year pro rata
Start date: 7th January 2022
Contract length: 15 months (thereafter, subject to funding-dependent renewal)
Application deadline: 29th November
Interview date: 7th December
Organisation description: Formally established in 2017, Jubilee Community Benefit Society is a Christian and cooperative creation care organisation working for the benefit of both a geographical community of all backgrounds and beliefs, the town of Larne and the surrounding area of East and South Antrim, and a community of interest, the churches of Ireland. We define creation care as environmental and agricultural stewardship that incorporates flourishing and fairness, welfare and wellbeing. In seeking to implement this holistic vision, our mission is to practice and promote care farming, community-supported agriculture (CSA), and conservation education and engagement. Visit www.jubilee.coop for more information.
Project description: In operating Jubilee Farm, the first community-owned farm in Northern Ireland, we produce a range of high-quality, agroecological food that is healthy, humane, fair and sustainable, while also providing a series of care farming, and conservation education and engagement services, that inspire, inform and benefit those who take part in them. Alongside a 1 acre market garden producing c. 25 vegboxes per week over a 30 week season, Jubilee Farm is also home to small breeding herds of pigs and goats, finishing approximately 30-40 pigs and 8–12 goats per year.
Working alongside a diverse group of staff, interns, volunteers, care farming clients and other stakeholders, the community farmer will be responsible for:
1) managing and developing the market garden and vegbox CSA scheme;
2) managing and developing livestock production and the livestock CSA scheme;
3) managing and delivering 3 weekly care farming sessions with care farming clients;
The community farmer role will involve:
- Sourcing relevant farm supplies, including seeds, feed, plants, compost, medicines, machinery, equipment, etc.
- Managing and developing vegetable and livestock production, primarily for our CSA scheme but also for commercial customers.
- Managing, directing and liaising with interns, volunteers, care farming clients, contractors and other stakeholders regarding operation and management of the farm.
- Planning, managing and delivering 3 weekly care farming sessions with care farming clients, including adults with learning difficulties and refugees/asylum seekers.
- Coordinating and delivering monthly volunteer days on the afternoon of the 4th Saturday of each month, except December.
- Contributing stories and images from the farm for our regular communications, including our monthly email newsletter and social media channels.
- Participating in all aspects of community farm planning, including participating in any relevant committees.
- Contributing to the overall organisational effectiveness and to perform any other duties as deemed appropriate by the Managing Director.
- Two years experience of horticultural and livestock production.
- Experience of managing volunteers and/or interns and/or staff.
- Willingness to work within Jubilee’s Christian ethos.
- A motivated, flexible and innovative approach to work, able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with challenging behaviour.
- Driving licence.
- Capable of physically demanding, outdoor work in all seasons.
- Degree in horticulture, agriculture or equivalent.
- Experience of farm management.
- Experience of delivering social/care farming sessions or equivalent.
- Experience of working with adults with learning difficulties.
- Experience of contributing to or delivering education programmes.
- Trailer licence, or willingness to work towards one.
Please send a 2 page CV as well as a covering email detailing how you meet the requirements of the role and why you are interested in it to email@example.com by 5pm on Monday 29th November 2021.
For more information contact Dr Jonny Hanson via 07858098479 or firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunities employer