Reporting to: Market Gardener
Days of work: Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday
Hours of work: 7 per week
Formally established in 2017, Jubilee Community Benefit Society is a multi-award winning Christian and cooperative creation care organisation. We work for the benefit of both a geographical community of all backgrounds and beliefs, the town of Larne and the surrounding area of East and South Antrim, and a community of interest, the churches of Ireland. We define creation care as environmental and agricultural stewardship that incorporates flourishing and fairness, welfare and wellbeing. In seeking to implement this holistic vision, our mission is to practice and promote care farming, community-supported agriculture (CSA), and conservation education and engagement. Visit www.jubilee.coop for more information. We are located only a short distance from Glynn train halt.
In developing Jubilee Farm, the first community-owned farm in Northern Ireland, we aim to produce a range of high-quality, food produced to organic standards that is healthy, humane, fair and sustainable. We also aim to provide a series of care farming, and conservation education and engagement services, that inspire, inform and benefit those who take part in them. The volunteer gardeners will work with the market gardener in operating our 1 acre market garden, working alongside a diverse group of interns, volunteers, care farming clients and other stakeholders. The produce is marketed primarily through Northern Ireland’s first vegbox community-supported agriculture (CSA) scheme, currently comprising around 20 households. Jubilee Farm’s 5 year Business Plan is available at www.jubilee.coop/shareoffer.
The role will be for 1 day per week on either Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, with 3 position available, each for a minimum of 3 months.
Role description and requirements
The volunteer gardener’s role will involve:
- Assisting with the operation of the market garden, including sowing, planting, weeding, making and applying compost, pest control, etc.
- Working alongside interns, other volunteers, care farming clients and other stakeholders in market garden.
- Assisting with harvest, preparation, packing and delivery of produce.
- Contributing to the overall effectiveness of the market garden and to perform any other duties as deemed appropriate by the Market Gardener.
- Either a horticultural qualification or experience of carrying out horticultural activities.
- Willingness to work within Jubilee’s Christian ethos.
- A motivated, flexible and innovative approach to market gardening, able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Willingness to be Access NI checked, due to our care farming activities with vulnerable adults.
Please send a 2 page CV as well as 1 page covering letter detailing how you meet the requirements of the role and why you are interested in the role to mail [@] jubilee.coop. The CV must include the email and phone number of 1 referee.
Short and informal interviews will be held by phone. There is no application deadline as applications are on a rolling basis.
For more information contact Dr Jonny Hanson via mail [@] jubilee.coop
We are an equal opportunities employer